Earth Day 2012 was a huge success as over one billion people in 192 countries took part in committing over 1 billion acts of green on April 22, 2012 (source: Earthday.org). This is a huge success yes, but how do we take this dedicated focus on Mother Nature and bring it to the other 364 days of the year? Don’t get overwhelmed, there are little changes you can make in your day-to-day routine to make an impact. Here are our Top 10 easy Tips that can make every day be Earth Day:
- Bike, walk or transit to work. With summer fast approaching, this is an easy, impactful way of protecting our environment. As an added bonus, you get fit!
- Bring re-usable canvas bags when grocery or clothes shopping. Say no to plastic.
- Get all your statements sent to you electronically. Pay all bills online.
- Compost. We’re big fans of recycling all organic materials and keeping them out of landfills.
- Unplug your chargers when you’re finished with them. Leaving them plugged in is a big energy waster.
- Buy a re-usable coffee mug/jug for all your java needs.
- Donate or recycle any unwanted furniture or electronics. The Green Coast Rubbish team can help to ensure your furniture and e-waste ends up properly disposed of. We will also take care of all your other junk removal needs.
- Think green when you clean. Try some of the DIY natural home cleaning products we wrote about in February.
- Go meatless for a meal or two. Gone are the days of tasteless vegetarian options. Nowadays, there are several delicious meal alternatives to meat. Eating less meat helps conserve water and reduces air pollution.
- This one has been drilled into us since we were little, but ALWAYS reduce, re-use and recycle!
We challenge you Green Coast Rubbish fans to make every day Earth Day. To keep you on track we will post more helpful tips, tools and tricks on our website to make it as painless as possible.