2019 was a year of teamwork, projects, passion, community and success for Green Coast Rubbish. Join us to reflect on the year that was 2019 to see how we made a difference in our community.
MAKING A DIFFERENCE
Green Coast Rubbish is ecstatic to announce that we were able to achieve a diversion rate of 77% in 2019! In total, we hauled 726.29 tonnes of material for the year and diverted 560.98 tonnes of material away from the landfill to alternative recycling and recovery waste stream sources. That’s material that didn’t end up in our landfill!
In fact, every year since 2010 we have achieved a diversion rate of at least 75%. In total we diverted 4,207.81 tonnes of waste material away from our landfills during the past 9 years alone – that’s over 9 million pounds! … more
Whether it’s knocking a waste diversion project out of the park or partnering on community cleanup, the Green Coast team is dedicated to doing our best work.
Tenant Improvement Project at Bentall IV The Green Coast team was brought in to assist a design firm with demolition and deconstruction services for a commercial client’s tenant improvement project to renovate their office space at Bentall IV, a LEED Platinum rated office tower in downtown Vancouver … more
North Vancouver Spring Cleanup Event
Our 3rd annual North Vancouver Spring Cleanup event was a massive success! We had a fantastic turnout and recycled thousands of pounds of clothing, electronics, mattresses, household goods, Styrofoam, plastic, metal and wood. Couldn’t ask for a better day or team! Big thanks to North Vancouver Homes, Urban Repurpose, Shelter to Home, North Shore Sports Swap, and the Avant Life Church for all of their efforts and hard work … more
Green Coast is proud to support a number of community-based initiatives in whatever way we can. Here’s some favourite examples of how we got involved in the community in 2019.
- We were thrilled to participate in what’s grown into a community tradition – The Lynn Valley Community Association’s Parade of Trees! All funds raised go to the North Shore Disability Resource Centre.
- We were stoked to once again support the Lynn Valley PAC’s annual Pumpkin Patch fundraiser!
- The Buddings Daycare neighbourhood recycling party! Music, face painting, and guilt-free disposal of small household recyclables that don’t get processed curbside.
- We supported Carson Graham’s Music Departments “One Night Only” fundraising event, an evening of student musical performances to raise $6,000.00 in support of the music program.
- For the 5th year in a row, we were honoured to manage the waste and recycling for the Knee Knacker-one of Canada’s most challenging ultra-marathons! A 48.6 km trail run from Horseshoe Bay to Deep Cove with 2,400 meters in elevation.
- We were proud to manage the waste and recycling for the Fall for Local Markets!
- We had a great day at the Better Business Bureau Mainland BC’s Shred-a-thon! Through donations, we helped raise over $1,100.00 for the Covenant House Vancouver!
- For the 7th year in a row, Green Coast Rubbish was happy to donate to the Special Olympics BC through the New Car Dealers Association of BC’s silent auction.
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
It is deeply rewarding to receive acknowledgement of our team’s hard work and commitment to environmental leadership and community:
- VanCity Credit Union Small Business Media Campaign: Green Coast Rubbish is 1 of only 4 businesses in Vancouver’s lower mainland to be featured by VanCity Credit Union for their upcoming small business media campaign. Stay tuned!
- Stars of Vancouver: Green Coast is grateful to have been recognized at this year’s Stars of Vancouver Readers’ Choice Awards as one of Vancouver’s most environmentally responsible businesses. … more
- RCBC Environmental Award Finalist: Green Coast Rubbish was a Recycling Council of BC‘s 2019 Environmental Award Finalist in 2019 in recognition of our efforts towards preservation and protection of British Columbia’s environment.
- Vancouver Green Space Magazine: An excellent profile in Business in Vancouver Green Space magazine as a Climate Smart success story…. more
- Green Deconstruction: Check out this awesome Vancouver Sun article on the green deconstruction initiatives happening around Vancouver. We are honoured to have been included in the discussion … more
A NEW DECADE
The Green Coast team is looking forward to working with our customers, partners, employees and community to reach all of our mutual goals around the environment and community. Between our people and passion, there is nothing stopping us as we enter a brand-new decade! Here’s to 2020 and beyond!