Well, that was fast! 2023 passed by in a blur of projects, team work, community involvement and the day-to-day goings on here at Green Coast Rubbish. January is always a time of reflection where we can look back for a moment and appreciate everything we accomplished. Our annual year in review blog post is always fun to share, and this year we are switching it up to present our Top 10 Green Coast Reflections from 2023. Let’s go!
- Number ten – A strong company culture and community ties are integral to our growing success. We care about our people and we don’t take anything for granted. Hear from CEO Eamonn Duignan about a full circle moment with a key employee in this video.
- Number nine – Help wanted! Apply here! How is this on our top 10, you might ask? Adding to the team is something we are always working on and we have open career opportunities as we speak for part-time and full time truck team members and team leads. Do you know somebody who would be a great fit for our organization? Tell them about Green Coast Rubbish and the current job opportunities available. If they are the successful candidate, you will be compensated with $500 after three months of employment!
- Number eight – The Green Coast Team demonstrated our commitment to customer service and flexed our recycling muscles throughout 2023. It was a busy year, and a good one for the team. We did all kinds of projects to meet the needs of our varied clients while diverting waste away from the landfill and recycling or donating over 75% of the materials we collected during the year.
- Number seven – Community Spirit is woven into the fabric of who we are at Green Coast Rubbish. Community isn’t just where we live; it’s the connections we build and the impact we create.
- Number six – Sponsoring the Lynn Valley Community Association Parade of Trees is one of our favourite community events. This year’s Green Coast tree entry was a good one, 100% decorated with items upcycled from our many projects. Christmas spirit on the team is strong and our commitment to giving and community is a core value.
- Number five – Attending the Inaugural Urban Repurpose Re-Use it and Upcycle Fair in July with a Green Coast team table was an exciting opportunity to showcase some unique repurposing projects that we created using materials collected from various projects. A selection of stylish handcrafted tote bags by designer Carol Smith were very popular at the fair; the bags were upcycled using outdated BCAA emergency kit bags.
- Number four – A Donation to the Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre of items collected from a project for BCAA was a very rewarding moment. We were tasked with recycling BCAA emergency kit bags this year and were able to donate the contents of the 1200 bags to the Downtown Eastside Women’s Center (the original kit bags were upcycled into tote bags). We even used a repurposed mail cart for the delivery. The Green Coast team is making a difference, one cart at a time.
- Number three – North Shore News Readers Choice Award Grateful is the word to describe our reaction to receiving news that readers voted Green Coast Rubbish as the best junk removal company on the North Shore for 2023. We’ve won this category in the past but it says so much about our great clients and the reputation we have built over time to be recognized this way. Plus we got a great feature article in the News this year titled “This junk removal and waste disposal service is keeping North Vancouver communities green”! Psst – we’re a finalist for 2024 as well!
- Number two – Seventeen candles Green Coast turned 17 years old in May 2023! What an honour to have served the local community for so many years!
- Number one – 17 Years of Green Coast Remembered Starting Green Coast Rubbish 17 years ago, CEO Eamonn Duignan started a grassroots, local company with the vision of changing existing junk removal practices by disposing of waste sustainably and responsibly. Hear what he has to say about his journey in this short video clip.
Cheers to a New Year
The Green Coast Team has no regrets about 2023. In fact, we are super proud about our involvement with community and the many projects we worked on for our clients. Our top 10 list of reflections demonstrates how we are always looking for unique ways to benefit our local community through the work we do.